[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Drunken Badgers of Feathermoon • View topic - Raid Review for 02-09-2011

Drunken Badgers of Feathermoon

Knock one back for the Drunken Badgersh!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Raid Review for 02-09-2011
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:57 am 
Regular

Half hour late, ended 40 minutes-ish early. But we did get to go in!

We spent the majority of our night in BwD working on Magmar. Here is what I saw and what we should improve upon for next week, the good and the bad.

The GOOD:
- We basically have the fight down.
- We were able to go through all the motions to within 2 minutes of enrage before wiping from healer OOM.
- Tanks and Healers did very well

THE BAD:
- Need to have perm spots filled for Tank and DPS
- Overall DPS output was lower than I wanted to see
- People kept dying to the Fire Pillar (Slow reaction time)

THE FIX:
- Skree needs to be hit capped and have her frost spec filled in for next week.
- We need to pay more attention to when abilities are triggering and plan to react. This will help with out reaction time, as well as more practice.

More info to be edited in as I have time to review last night. Please comment on your thoughts with how last night went and how we can improve.

- Bo

Post subject: Re: Raid Review for 02-09-2011
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:21 pm 
Regular

Napkin math seems to put the required dps (33M HP over 8 minutes) at around 10-11K for 6 dpsers. Probably not likely to get a healer swapped to dps to bring that number down, seeing as how hard it was for three healers to keep everyone alive.

On a side, but related note: are fish feasts, or their equivalent going to be provided for future raids? If not I will stock up on buff food.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:14 pm 
Regular

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but that's 10-11K dps direct to the boss. Right?

I know the double damage phase will help make up for it, but that really enforces that we need to get the lava worms down quicker.

At least 2 if not 3 of our dps wasn't breaking 8k dps. Unfortunately I erased my recount stats when I did my dailies so I can't review that anymore. I will be running world of logs reports starting next week.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:50 pm 
Regular

Keys to that fight:

- you need to have enough DPS to kill all worms within less than 30s as the next lava pillar will hit, if you are not doing so ppl need to optimize where possible in spec for control and aoe dps on those worms, example frost mages, survival hunters, frost DKs, and demo locks all will make the worm dps and control easier.

- Based on the dmg output you will need 3 healers for the fight with at least 2 focused on raid healing the bursty and heavy lava spit dmg

- If you have geared tank who can use CDs propelry during mangle and the tank healer can keep them up you can go with 1 tank and add an extra DPS

- All your true DPS on the worm should be optimized on the head spike phase, once you get the 1st head spike down properly the next ones will come quicker so it is critical to get the 1st one down in a timely fashion e.g. before the 3rd lava pillar, if you get it down during the 3rd lava pillar it really hinders DPS focus on the dbl dmg, normally I find if we get the 3rd pillar before the 1st head spike due to coordination issues we are severely behind the DMG curve to win the fight especially with early gear lvls.

- All DPS should be pulling about 15k on avg for the fight as you will find healers OOM before the enrage, so just making the DPS baseline is not ideal. This should be easy to deal with people properly geared in heroic 346 gear and optimizing DPS CDs during spike phases and dealing with worms the rest of the phases

- This is a healer intensive fight so raiders need to not take any avoidable dmg such as lava pillar and worm hitting them, standing in the ignite side etc., I stress this because until ppl can avoid this dmg you will severely gimp healers from keeping raid alive long enough to win

- Lastly as a strat note, when the head comes up aggro resets, so we have started making sure all non-plate dps are stacked with the ranged grp when the head comes up and wait for the 1st pillar before they move back to the melee section, this avoided any melee insta gibs of anyone from worm. Any plate DPS stayin in during head up phase transition should reserve and dmg reduction or survival CDs for that period.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:21 pm 
Regular

YJ- we are using a single tank (Thith is now Cataclsymically Superior) and 6 DPS, but are still short. I think we have the mechanical quirks ironed out, we have the execution, and now we need to hit heroics and theorycrafting boards to bring up the performance.

Pro tip - A tank in his mouth can DPS the exposed head even before it's chained to the spike. I was taking full advantage of this to help keep myself up with death strikes. I wonder in Syrennia in Jagger is sundering the head in preparation for the chains? If not, that would probably be a great practice. I also wonder if ranged can hit the head while the tank is in his mouth - that would give us a minor head start when we have ranged up front (who aren't busy with parasites during the window of opportunity).

The point of making all the ranged take a stint on the outside orignally allowed us to all learn the fight mechanics together, and allows us to mix and match the parasite DPS until we have the correct combination. However, I don't believe that keeping all 4 ranged DPS on the parasites is the final answer. Ideally, we'll want to get to the point where we can have 3-4 DPS on the boss full time and only have 2-3 DPS in in the back handling the lava parasites.

The theory behind keeping all the ranged on the parasites "just in case" is based on the simplified notion that the raid can do a consistant amount of DPS against multiple targets as single targets. That's just not the case. Single targets benefit from cross-buffs (earth and moon, sunder armor, etc), and we need as many of those benefits as possible to push up the raid DPS. Additionally, single target DPS allows the DPSer to get into a good rotation or priority queue. On the other hand, AOE is ineffecient by nature. The need to reposition channeled spells, the tapering off of aoe effeciency as targets die off, swapping targets (removing the ability to spell queue as well), and dots that don't last the full duration will eat into our damage output potential and mana effeciency. The fewer raiders we have who need to worry about this lost potential, the better for the raid output on the whole.

The player who did the best damage on the parasites, while providing valuable slowing, was the hunter we picked up. We should keep her. When we get to the point that she and another backup DPS/CC (moonkin or Xelian are probably the best bet) can handle the worms by themselves, we should have enough DPS to down the boss (assuming all the other DPS scale up approximately evenly).

In Jagger, YJ and Whateley do the pillars with Zivilyn as their personal (and quite mana-starved) healer. They rotate CD's (eg, trap the even numbered waves and use warlock pet's aoe on the odd numbered). We should do something similar - trap the odd numbered waves, starfall on the even numbered waves, and mushroom/hurricane/multishot every time. I think everyone is blowing their CD's on the first wave (which overkills it) and then has problems on the next wave.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:04 am 
Regular

Great, agree on more gear for DPS to lower the time and difficulty curve. Are you guys posting logs yet?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:35 pm 
Regular

Yes, I agree we need higher deeps or I'll break out the DKP losses!

Logs start next week, I forgot to turn them on for this week. *cough*

@Rose: The selling of raid BoE's will help to fuel automated funding of this. Also, feel free to farm up any feast or food mats and drop them in the raid tab and Skree or myself will make the food, or mail them to myself or skree if you want. I have all the recipes we need, as does skree. I even have the current +60 stat guild feast.

Raid $$ will also fund enchants for us hopefully.

- Bo