[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Drunken Badgers of Feathermoon • View topic - What I learned from the good Professor...

Drunken Badgers of Feathermoon

Knock one back for the Drunken Badgersh!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What I learned from the good Professor...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:45 pm 
Regular

I learned that I can slurp up slime and still debuff/dps the boss while the "Slurp" is on cooldown. I learned that if I mash buttons harder, I will still fail at the same rate as if I mashed buttons regularly. I learned that by cursing at my digital avatar, it would move no quicker but I could essentially cultivate an ulcer. I learned that rage seemed to have no improved effect on the professor. And I learned I was not alone in my rage.

But then I had an epiphany: Let's have fun next week! Let's all review the fight on Tankspot.com or whatever boss killer review site you prefer. I went and reviewed it Monday so as to understand what killed me and Tonym during our closest attempt last week. I learned about the debuff, Mutated Plague. It afflicts the target and starts doing raid-wide damage based on the number of stacks. And did you know that when someone dies while Mutated Plague is up, the professor heals? I did! It's that nice for me?! :)

Too manly to study? Time to play but not to study the fights? No Problem; rage on!

/rant off

"In the world of martial arts, speed determines the victor." -Beast, from Kung Fu Hustle

"Fear not, little cub. For the Almighty Zoble goes with you wherever your path may lead." -The Digital Druidic Gospel

Post subject: Re: What I learned from the good Professor...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:00 pm 
Regular

Maybe it's helpful, but we started a new strat a couple weeks ago and found it very very helpful. Our thursday night mostly "alt" raid was even able to get professor down with the new strat.

In a nutshell... less raid movement = more dps = win faster.

-Tank putricide very close to but not on top of where the green ooze spawns (Not on top of because flasks or slime pool on top of this spot is bad).
-If easy, tank next to a slime pool so abom can hit putricide too. (Abom can mash both 1 and 3 and do BOTH punching the boss and sucking up slime at the same time)
-Attack green slime as soon as it spawns. Yes, this means melee too. It takes about 3-4 seconds to spawn then pick its first target. We found that if it picks someone at ranged, we can almost always kill it before it gets there. If it picks a melee, then there are enough in there (3-4 counting tank if you need to) so that it doesn't kill anyone, and you should immediately DPS it again and you can usually kill it before it picks a second target.

Everything else as normal. Ranged never have to move other than avoiding bad things (goo, kiting the orange slime, slime pools) so they can stand still and do more dps.
The tank and melee does have to move around due to the flasks he drops, but move around the green slime spot so no one is ever too far away from it.

We found the boss dead much faster with this strat, and a much easier fight overall. This is how we won on 25 man also.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:20 pm 
Regular

That sounds like a good strat. The green slime is our most powerful nemesis. We lose more people during those than the rest of the mechanics. And I know what you are saying about the fat suit. It will slurp and slash at nearly the same time; independent cool downs on slurp and slash. (And 12k hits at that!)

Z, you ever have him throw slime puddles inside the walls? Yesterday he did that twice; one was growing out of the wall and I couldn't get rid of it... the other, never even showed and I couldn't snare the first green ooze.

"In the world of martial arts, speed determines the victor." -Beast, from Kung Fu Hustle

"Fear not, little cub. For the Almighty Zoble goes with you wherever your path may lead." -The Digital Druidic Gospel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:16 pm 
Regular

Don't think I've had that problem.

With this strat it's not a big deal if you snare the first green ooze or not, since it should be spending 2/3 or more of its life simply picking targets. So if it looks like an issue, don't bother with green snare and save it for orange.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:43 pm 
Regular

Unfortunatly, Zoble's strat does not work well for our 10man, we only have 1 melee dps, and if he begins dpsing the ooze immediatly and gets picked he died (that's how we lost vore all the time our first week)

We don't lose alot of people to the green ooze, one of our biggest losses is if a green ooze picks someone and a malable goo is thrown at them, they have to be healed through that .. and they aren't.

Another cause of problem with the green ooze is people standing too far away to be colapsed down on, we just do not have the damage output to burn the green ooze down before it hits the first target.

People get hit by the orange ooze still.

The most painful, is when we finally make it to phase three, people are dieing too early .. or a tank dies.

Overall, I'm not sure what the point of your post to be honest, if we where going for pure fun, we'd get 2-3 attempts in on putricide and throw in the towel .. because spending 3 hours wiping on him because of screwups isn't my idea of fun.

I also think you'll find the ones that do put the time in to study the fight are the ones that are getting mad.

-Xel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:43 pm 
Regular

Yeah. The folks who will see a positive return from the "sit on green" strat are the folks with a very strong melee section. Otherwise, it's a high probability of negative DPS.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:06 am 
Regular

With one melee I can see it not working :)

We did it ok with 2 melee tonight, but we had to have a 3rd person run in there to share the blow. I just ran in there (as healer) and it wasn't a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:47 pm 
Regular

I still see this as a viable strat. My reason is that the Abom can represent a significant DPS boost if the ooze/boss are near to slash. The raid being on the side of the green ooze will put the slime puddles on that side too... and thus the Abom will be there slurping away. Slurping and slashing (which can be done at the same time, the two abilities have independent timers).

So when the green ooze spawns our one melee + MT + Abom will be providing additional dps. The Abom will also add the armor debuff. And they will be there to help soak some damage as well. The green ooze will also be easier to target and dps down from a ranged perspective; no one will get "out of range" errors.

As it is now, we get bombed by the green ooze and most times bombed again. What do we have to lose by trying this strat out? If it fails twice, I will shut my trap.

As for the Rage v. Fun thing, let's just forget that one.