[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Drunken Badgers of Feathermoon • View topic - Stoli 01-07-2010 We need help!

Drunken Badgers of Feathermoon

Knock one back for the Drunken Badgersh!
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stoli 01-07-2010 We need help!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:13 am 
Regular

Tonights Raid
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/yyqebp8qtnebyfb7/

So we finally got saurfang down, on our 10th attempt, while that's great .. we could use some suggestions and help to streamline things a bit more.

If anyone has some suggestions we are very open to some help.

-Xel

Post subject: Re: Stoli 01-07-2010 We need help!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:35 am 
Regular

Saurfang can be deceptive. Lots of people get used to ignoring adds or other fight mechanics for the last couple percent of the boss, but on him that's actually the most crucial time since he's always just 1 mistake away from winning. The "we're so close!" laxity often leads to 11th hour losses.

DPS seems to be the issue from when I went with ya'll last week. Since Rhaeyn is my main, it's hard for me to know what the correct DPS # is for instance appropriate gear. I can give a comparative analysis to TroaRet. Ret paladins have an advantage in that fight, however, mine had no ICC gear at all (and a fair amount of hunter and ulduar gear). Your DPS is main-character and main-spec'd with ICC-10 gear, and possibly rep rings and badge items as well. Based on that comparison, not "Well, 25-man raiders do X!", I should not have been so competitive with your regular DPS. Yes, your ranged DPS were kiting adds... but they should have DPS numbers similar to Xelian even if they're laying traps and have Damage Done numbers that are lower.

Vore should be on top. Probably by a lot. The melee don't have to switch targets except in rare circumstances. Is D&D baseline and worth casting for a single target? Like consecrate, you *can* eek it in without risking hitting the beasts if you are smart about it. Once the adds pop up and they are safely out of range, cast it once and only once. It looks like he must be working in AOE abilities because he's hitting Heart Strike (2 target) a lot.

If you're running two mages, it might we wise to have them go different specs. Doesn't Fire have a lot of buffs associated with it?

WoL says your moonkin didn't cast treants or starfall. WTF? He also had a mediocre uptime on his dots. Even when the BB or out, they should be ticking on the boss to ensure he keeps the idol crit buff. The best way to do this is to refresh just before they spawn.

Everyone else I don't have much expertise on, except to reiterate "DPS seems low."

Another way to pick up damage done is to reduce healers. Chaser (ICC10) runs two healers. Whiskey (ICC25) runs 6-7 which is closer to your ratio, but in 25 you have full buff coverage for everyone so more damage is dealt per raider. I recall you folks were trying to have a "hybrid DPS/heal" during the fight- I'm never a fan of this strategy. Usually this makes a 100% effective DPS or Healer into a 20%/40% effective DPS/Healer for a net loss in player effectiveness. Xel- how many healers did my sister's raid run in 10? I think they go 3 for that fight.

One strategy is to let the first person with the debuff die to reduce healing. I'm on the fence about this one. It seems to be a clear win in 25, but in 10 you're losing a much more significant portion of your raid when even 1 person dies.

I don't think any one trick will "fix" things for you guys. What you really need are a lot of individual player improvements. I feel it's DPS that are on the hook

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:01 am 
Regular

Also, I recall Ducky could stand to pull down some more threat. I seem to recall Zoble has some tanking macro that might help, and it involved something non-intuitive like casting Faerie Fire a lot. Maybe that information is out of date, Zob can provide more comments. I'm not going to look at the WoL since I'm at work now :P

Regardless, Congrats on killing him. He *is* hard and I know it's been a sore point for you guys for weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:39 am 
Regular

Xelian hooked me up with the killer Zoble macro, which contained FFF in the rotation. And it works like a charm for the FFF and the Maul all on the same button. In fact, once I looked at the macro, I put the "/cast !Maul" line into all my bear macros. And my threat picked up tremendously.

I made sure to run that macro only after the bloodies were out of melee range (which seems to be larger these days). With the Maul glyph, I hit one of the bloodies when I didn't time it.

But Ducky was actually switching to kitty on the last few attempts. It seemed to make a difference. /shrug

"In the world of martial arts, speed determines the victor." -Beast, from Kung Fu Hustle

"Fear not, little cub. For the Almighty Zoble goes with you wherever your path may lead." -The Digital Druidic Gospel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:44 am 
Regular

We ran 2 healers on Saurfang. Worked fine as long as we can keep the first mark off until near 35% health.

Grexis was MIA, and as of now, unless he has a damn good reason. he's prolly gone.

The boomkin and mage were pugs. Pugging 2 spots consistently is making a steady raid very difficult. I want to gear my perm members, but people won't come if they can't get loot and we never hear from them again.

With a touch more gear, we could safely two heal the whole place IMO. Well, at least the first wing. I think ogburn is going to try and raid with us again now that he's back. That still leaves us with and open spot though.

Shane, we had you do that to try and offset our lack of dps. Hopefully you won't have to keep it up.

Last edited by Bogre on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:45 am 
Regular

Sorry was tired when I posted the above thread, as a point of compairison here is Tuesday's raid with troa's sister, it took 3 attempts to down saurfang .. but they where very clean, and the first two attempts .. we almost had him each time.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/7f3whah03aa05opm/

I believe they did saurfang with 2 healers, I thought 3 at first I got a little because their Ret Pally switched to healing so I assumed 3, but it looks like their healer switched to Elemental to DPS (due to his higher than I'd expect from someone who's helping heal damage output) .. So I'm pretty sure they did it with 2 healers.

We did it with 2 healers, though it was rough on a couple points .. we almost had him on attmept 7, then someone died. So healing is an issue as well.

The mage, and druid where both Pugs, so we can't make any "raid wide" decisions like spec changing because I doubt either of them will be back next week.

The druid, wasn't very good .. and honestly I'm surprised we made it with him .. So there's definatly improvement gain by picking up a more compitent dpser there, but I'm hoping we can all (including myself) make some improvements to put down this fight as easily as we did morrowgar and deathwhisper.

-Xel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:02 pm 
Zealot

I am pretty sure that "more DPS" is the best way to improve your performance on Saurfang. It may need more gear from lower level instances. It may need more individual raider improvements in playstyle. It may need a more dps-centric raid strategy. Most likely it could take some combination of all of the above and a few other things.

Chaser is about the optimal group of players for this fight and it's cranking out around 45k dps (average) over the duration of the fight, while Stoli is only putting out about 30k.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:09 pm 
Regular

Do you mean 4.5k and 3k, respectively?

"In the world of martial arts, speed determines the victor." -Beast, from Kung Fu Hustle

"Fear not, little cub. For the Almighty Zoble goes with you wherever your path may lead." -The Digital Druidic Gospel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:14 pm 
Regular

Cliffton wrote:
Chaser is about the optimal group of players for this fight and it's cranking out around 45k dps (average) over the duration of the fight, while Stoli is only putting out about 30k.

... again, that's "well, 25-person geared players do X why do 10-person geared players only do Y?" 30k only worked after 10 attempts, so Stoli should be doing more than 30k. But how much more? 50% more damage is too much to ask from folks who are going to be at least 13 ilevels behind in every slot. What was the raid damage from Tanglebriar's raid? That'll be a more apples-apples comparison. (If Aeristancy (mage) was there, he's 25-player geared. However, he's the only one who is so geared and folks like Widget are recent-80s so it should balance out to an achievable goal for Stoli).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:22 pm 
Regular

Ducky_6805 wrote:
Do you mean 4.5k and 3k, respectively?

Nope. He means the entire raid, all 10 people including tanks and healers, are 30k and 45k. We can estimate healers at approximately 0% of a DPS slot, and tanks at approximately 50% of a DPS slot. So with 2 healers, 2 tanks, and 6 DPS that's averages out to about 30/(0*2 + 0.5*2 + 1*6) = 4.2k per DPS'er in Stoli and 6.4k per DPS'er in Chaser. Tanks probably do a bit more than 50% of the damage of the average DPS player (60-75% would be my more confident judgement), so the average DPS weight may be a bit skewed in favor of the individual DPS.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:47 pm 
Zealot

Ducky, 45k & 30k is the cumulative dps output of the raid (sum of all individual players' dps output). Cumulative is the "bottom line" when it comes to downing bosses.
Tanglebriar's raid's mean was about 32.5k dps:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/7f3whah03aa05opm/sum/damageDone/?s=5444&e=5823

Stoli should not expect to achieve 45k in its current equipment; that's probably outside of its reach. However, exhaustive 10-man gear (ToGC, ToC, badge stuff, Ulduar stuff) should kick it up above 35k I'd guess, more optimistically 40k, if everything else was working properly dps-wise.

Additional dps this fight provides more than proportional returns on making it easier to win.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:08 pm 
Regular

Gotcha. Thx.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:32 pm 
Regular

Well..damn my other writeup got lost :( so here is a summary..from the parse at least for the win fight you may have been better off letting the 1 DPS die before the 30% frenzy. The Druid you pugged was definitely killing you on DPS output. Your benchmark for this fight should be at least 5k, 5.5k and above from 6 DPS would make your encounter less challenging and left to only healing mistakes or failures in killing blood beasts effectively. Even at that if you find yourself getting a mark before the 30% frenzy and it is a non-healer you may be better served to let that person die and lower the 30% healing burden and slow the addition of another mark. As Cliff stated above assuming you have been farming ToC and badges the raid should be sufficiently geared to pull the 5k benchmark, if not I would have DPS gear check themselves and look at what is the biggest easily obtainable upgrade for a piece they have lagging behind. RAWR- http://www.codeplex.com/Rawr is a decent tool if the DPS want to see where their best upgrades will be.

Also I could only inspect Ivory on performance and gear since I know about hunters- currently she is way over hit cap, probably due to grimtroll trinket..actually her trinkets should be mirror of truth and dark moon card of greatness which should be easily obtainable until she has whispering fang drop from Deathwhisper 10. DMCG is the single best trinket you can buy for a hunter and is really only replaced by 25 man TOC or ICC trinkets. Her boots can easily be replaced with fairly cheap craftable boot I believe..get rid of the naxx boots asap. Also she would get more mileage from agi enchants on her weps with her survival build than straight AP.

*edit on surv gemming, unless the socket bonus is greater than 6agi or you're trying to meet your meta gem req then using 20agi gems in blue and yellow slots will yield you more DPS.

Last edited by Yellowjacket on Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:52 pm 
Regular

The past two weeks Xelian and I have been going over everybody's gear and meeting with them on a one-on-one basis. Our DPS has come up significantly with their improvements. If Tanglebriar's raid was averaging 32.5k on their kill, that is something we should easily accomplish with two competent regulars.

Yellowjacket, thanks for the pointers on ivory. He's on the forum now so I'm sure he'll see this. If he needs help any of Stoli is more than willing to help with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:51 pm 
Regular

It's good that he was a pug. I thought maybe you folks finally found your moonkin and were trying to gear him up, so I didn't want to make too many statements on him publicly...

2.5k isn't hard at all. A few tweaks on everyone else in the raid should get you all consistently putting out the 30k you did on attempt 10, and replacing the moonkin with someone better at pushing buttons will pick up the extra 2.5k right there.

It sounds like you're really close (as evidenced by this kill) and only need a little bit more help beyond what you've already accomplished. What you've already accomplished is pretty significant- Skree's DPS alone has gone up about 2k since this parse and what I remember seeing her at before the raid I went to with ya'll the other week.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:00 pm 
Regular

• Stoli downed saurfang 10 seconds sooner than Tanglebriar's raid
  • Tanglebriar's raid needed to do 865473 more damage than we did, that means we're much better at preventing saurfang from healing himself
  • Tanglebrair's raid had a 2k effective DPS lead over us, some of this can be accounted for with Shion, but if we can get everyone to bring their dps up at least another 200 points it would make a world of difference.
  • Our effective DPS was 30868.7 that's barely enough to down him, and it shows since we barely made it.

Some things we learned last night that we need to make sure we remember.
Amplify Magic always
Ivory trapping hurts us more than it helps.
Bogre should be standing in 1 left position more than he was.
I should be more to the right than center, it makes the targeting less error prone.

Some things to improve on or consider.
  • Logging in at raid invite time, is not the time to start looking for replacements. This is why we got stuck with the druid, because we didn't have any better alternatives. Grexis said he was comming and didn't so yes there is some leeway there but Ogburn said no, his replacement could have been found over the weekend or on monday or tuesday well before the raid.
  • This is also two fold, the raid members need to accept the invites by friday (for next weeks raid) that should give us all weekend to find a replacement.
  • This is the second time Grexis failed to show up when he said yes, we should replace him. Miratha is back and wants to play their enhancement shaman. I'm not sure if we want to try and lock in another melee dps or not, but really 2 melee DPS in a 10man should be acceptable.
  • Skree took alot of warm up time to get to the level of DPS she was producing on the kill. It was mentioned that she needs more playtime to get used to things, this is very likely and should happen.
  • Yellowjacket listed several improvement points of Ivory, if you need any help with these Ivory please let us know.
  • I don't think switching to Cat is giving us a net gain, it produced about the same DPS as Angry did in bear form and to me it seems riskier.
  • I agree with letting the first mark die, this will make his second mark land when he's really close to death and will make it less likely that we'll lose the person with the second mark. Healing 1 marked person seemed ok, but when we got 2, both died .. and that sucks. This also means there will be alot of resets because the first mark on a healer/tank we have to reset until we get strong enough to handle it.

I've been talking with Chia about warlock improvements since he does better than I do on his warlock, I'm going to ask if he can look over the log and see if there are any points of improvement for myself.
If we can get Dizzy to look over Vore, and Watt's to look over Skree that would be great.

Our most valuable resource is that we're in a guild with some of the best raiders in the game, hopefully we can learn from them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:02 pm 
Regular

How far in advance do you do your invites? This is always a balancing game. If it's multiple weeks in advance, folks tend to sign up in batches and forget to update that signup when stuff comes up. For a 10-man, 1 week in advance is probably all the more you want to let people sign up for. I've had some serious problems with the Whiskey-standard of 3 weeks for 10 mans in the past.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:08 pm 
Regular

Quote:
Logging in at raid invite time, is not the time to start looking for replacements. This is why we got stuck with the druid, because we didn't have any better alternatives. Grexis said he was comming and didn't so yes there is some leeway there but Ogburn said no, his replacement could have been found over the weekend or on monday or tuesday well before the raid.

Ogburn did not drop out for the week until Tuesday. I will have to wait until I get home to check the exact time as I left my authenticator at home.

I do however agree that people should be signed up by Friday.

Quote:
How far in advance do you do your invites? This is always a balancing game. If it's multiple weeks in advance, folks tend to sign up in batches and forget to update that signup when stuff comes up. For a 10-man, 1 week in advance is probably all the more you want to let people sign up for. I've had some serious problems with the Whiskey-standard of 3 weeks for 10 mans in the past.

For the month of January all signups are out. Generally I try to keep them 1-2 weeks in advance though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:58 pm 
Regular

xelian wrote:
[*]I don't think switching to Cat is giving us a net gain, it produced about the same DPS as Angry did in bear form and to me it seems riskier.

The swap to cat was an experiment that didn't produce noticable results. However, as a tank, I did like having Shane 180 degrees from me because it made it obvious who had agro. Perhaps 120 degree stagger on the tanks if this doesn't effect the ranged blood nova spacing. Not important, but it was nice.

Also I think we should focus on getting two pure dps (hybrids are good, but main spec dps), as opposed to a third healer. Having the third healer is a crutch that we are beating ourselves with. Not to say that we can't have someone off spec for healing occasionaly, but that should not be the norm.

Last edited by Roselee on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:02 pm 
Regular

Playing with Rawr (bored) found the following:
Skree
Current gear changes
Helm - sp gem to 12 sp 10 haste
weapon - enchant black magic
Off hand - sp gem to 12 sp 10 haste
Belt - Yellow socket gem to 12 sp 10 haste
legs - both sp gems to 12 sp 10 haste
boots - enchant to Greater Spirit. Regem both to 12 sp 10 haste

Available non ICC upgrade items
Head
Hood of Fiery Aftermath - 75 triumph (72.67)

Neck
Watchful Eye of Fate - Steelbreaker(10) (23.16)

Shoulders - no upgrade

Back
Flowing Sapphiron Drape - Ony(25) (96.90)
Fluttering Sappiron Drape - Ony(10) (65.39)
Shawl of the Caretaker - Ignis(10) (34.05)
Deathchill cloak - tailoring (26.11)
Cloak of Kea Feathers - 25 Valor (17.16)

Chest - no meaningful upgrade

Bracers - no upgrade

Hands - no upgrades

Waist
Icehowl Cinch - ToGc(10) (51.16)
Strip of Remorse - HoR Chest(H) (21.21)
Braid of Salt and Fire - Ick(H PoS) (17.78)

Boots
Spellslinger's Slippers - 226 Crafted (Tailoring) (61.07)
Boots of the Grieving Soul - Darkbane (H10) (59.72)
Sandals of the Silver Magus - HOrde Champions (H10) (46.99)
Prelate's Snowshoes - Tyranus (H PoS) (45.92)

Rings
Ashen Bands

Trinket
Talisman of Resurgence - 50 Triumph (245.29)
Eye of the Broodmother - Razorscale(10) (157.47)
Sundial of the Exiled - 40 Heroism (139.75)

MH Weapon
Blade of the Silver Disciple - Faction Champs (H10) (205.10)
Enlightenment - Darkbane (H10) (197.83)
Honed Fang of the Mystics - Ony (25) (113.60)
Polished Azuresong Mageblade - Ony(25) (112.43)
Blade of the Silver Disciple - Faction Champs(10) (86.74)
Seethe - Devourer of Souls (H) (37.17)
Enlightenment - Darkbane (10) (33.65)

OH Item
Chalice of Benedictus - Darkbane (H10) (31.31)
Shriveld Heart - HoR Chest (H) (4.33)

Wand - no upgrades

Last edited by Roselee on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.