[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Drunken Badgers of Feathermoon • View topic - Raid Ninja Attendance Spreadsheet

Drunken Badgers of Feathermoon

Knock one back for the Drunken Badgersh!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Raid Ninja Attendance Spreadsheet
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:00 pm 
Regular

I had a PM conversation with Jardinn where I clarified how it all worked with him and he seemed totally happy with that. I can understand the desire to help out people who have subbed before becoming 'official raiders' as it were but I do think it adds further complications to an already fairly complicated process.

In all honesty with the time zone differences maintaining the spreadsheet re sign ups is a bit of a pita since I generally go through the logs to ensure that I am basing sign up points on the cut off time of when Halexx confirms raiders.

That said, in the spreadsheet I generally make a note of any pugs who attended where they don't have their own line/points in the comment for the total figure for that specific raid and also note where people didn't sign up correctly.

I try to be fair re people having to change their status at the last minute. I figure if they were coming and go to the effort of changing to not coming even if it's short notice they still deserve their point allocation for sign up since they used the raid ninja tool - and that is the main point of this whole system. If they signed up as coming and just didn't show then they get no points.

If they signed up but it was after the point in time where Halexx confirmed the raiders - well they get no points regardless of what status they entered.

I am not happy with the idea of assigning partial points for late sign ups. It goes against the actual point of having sign ups with a deadline in the first place. I am ok with awarding points for pug attendance in retrospect where the pug becomes an official raider within a short period of their initial raid attendance like say 3 weeks. Although this will mean more manual effort.

Re the specific comment about Jardinn: "1 point is assigned for attendance at a raid unless there was no sign up in Raid Ninja - in this case no points are awarded for raid attendance."

Perhaps this should say: "1 point is assigned for attendance at a raid unless there was no sign up in Raid Ninja by the Tuesday night deadline - in this case no points are awarded for raid attendance." since that clarifies how it actually works. Although in reality it's more 'before Halexx confirms attendees sometime wednesday" :P

On a final note, of all the people who have pugged with us and then become official raiders by applying, and there are several, the only time the system has been called into question is twice that I am aware of - by Seelyon (who didn't understand how it worked) and Jardinn. This suggest to me that overall the process is working fine really and we just need to make the rules clearer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:16 pm 
Regular

So I've been maintaining the attendance spreadsheet for roughly a year now and I'm tired of doing it to be honest. It would be really great if another raid officer would be willing to step up and take over this job. If someone else is willing to take over I'll make sure it's up to date at handover and provide read/write access to the sheet to that person (so I'd need a gmail address).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:02 am 
Zealot

I would help work on designing and building a tool to automatically capture the attendance information if you would be interested in helping me with something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:07 pm 
Regular

Sure :) WTB Raid Ninja & WoL API...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:59 pm 
Regular

Yeah, wow, that'd be extremely dependant on RN never changing (ie, the name of the raid, the name of the people signing up, RN never being upgraded) and WoL never changing, and the DB is just an excel sheet so loading the data and making it printable would suck. I could see hacking something together with chewing gum and string, but it'd probably have issues all the time.

Automated > manual, except when automated < manual. Are you excited about the project itself, or just excited about not having to do the stupid annoying chore?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:20 pm 
Regular

Are you asking me or Cliff that question Moonkin?

I'm just tired of doing the manual chore and hoping someone else would like to step up. My comment about APIs for RN & WoL was pretty tongue in cheek. I mean RN is a php based piece of old clunkity as far as I am concerned with just enough features to make it usable. If we were going to build something ourselves it would make sense to use the WoW API itself rather than piggyback that information from a third party app.

There are some other solutions that have been proposed in the past that have not met with overwhelming acceptance:

1. The in game raid sign up calendar add on that Cliff proposed somewhere
2. Moving to a more feature rich/hosted/supported warcraft specific website/forum solution which I looked into and which YJ said he would pay for. I was a fan of the wowguilds solution and their event system.

Every option including our current one has it's pros and cons.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:57 am 
Regular

Sooooo it was Jan since I posted my plea for someone to take on managing attendance tracking... and... no one has offered and here I am in May now doing loot and trying to work out what the rules are for staying on the list.... and firing up a version of the spreadsheet. I've added attendance for the last 4 weeks and while it's easy to work out who needs to be added as of attending next raid (Drackul, Layni, Kobori, Dextr) I don't know who if anyone should come off?

Well at the moment I'm figuring Seel, Gnome, Emelin & Whateley. Also I notice Bloodthirzt is on there as well as Dwarven?

Comments please.

Also volunteers would be good.

Please?

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:33 pm 
Regular

Rev offered on vent during our officer chat to pickup any raid duties, if we want to still keep track of it to control Sk list then let's have him help in that area

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:27 am 
Regular

Ok cool :) I was wondering whether it might be time to open up raid officer applications to the raid - perhaps there is some untapped potential there?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:02 pm 
Regular

Jezrael wrote:
Ok cool :) I was wondering whether it might be time to open up raid officer applications to the raid - perhaps there is some untapped potential there?

Sounds like you could use a break from boring spreadsheet work. If there's a need I'd be happy to step up to the plate on this one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:20 pm 
Regular

W00ties :D Fling me the email address you want me to share the doc with you on then :)