[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Drunken Badgers of Feathermoon • View topic - Raid Apps

Drunken Badgers of Feathermoon

Knock one back for the Drunken Badgersh!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Raid Apps
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:20 am 
Regular

Thought i would start an officer thread to discuss raid applicants.

I'll start the discussion with some of my thoughts and opinions:

Margerdria (priest) -- Marg has never cut the DPS bar and i don't think we should consider him anything more than a sub. Shuu fills the shadow priest spot.

Rapscallion -- Raps should be on the regular roster. He is aces as DPS and a solid backup tank.

Diseased -- seems like he should be grandfathered. Very good DPS and with plate now has to worry less about pulling an AoE mob off Cliff. :-)

Klára -- no doubt Loa is a very good player, but his attendance and signup rate for the TBC raid was poor and ultimately led to him being removed as a regular. I'm not sure why he would be grandfathered in other than being a guild founder.

Hrothgar -- Hroth always seemed to struggle with DPS in TBC raiding. I think he needs a DPS check before having his application accepted.

Gnomeish -- yep, pick him up as a regular

Missing Apps:
Where the heck is Ellyan? Change your work schedule already!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:55 am 
Regular

Do we really want/need 3 death knights?

I honestly don't know enough about them to answer that question for myself. But it should be asked and thought about.

I agree with Marg. He'd be a fine sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:11 am 
Regular

my opinion is that we don't need 3 DKs and should grab Diseased/Raps and let Klara be a preferred sub as his availability allows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:40 am 
Zealot

Agreed on most comments, here's my thoughts on the others.

Diseased: Randomly no-showed once, so not grandfathered because of that. He's still very bad at waiting for the right time to attack mobs and pulls agro blindly, and while he can survive it fine, agro pulls flat out make it harder for the tank to collect agro and offer more chances to wipe the raid. Love to have him though.

Klára: Took the dps performance officer role, I think officer implies grandfathered. He said he could make nearly every raid unlike BC. If he can only participate as a sub, he shouldn't be an officer.

3 death knights is fine. They stab pretty hard and survive pretty well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:27 am 
Regular

Regarding Marge, I think Shuu is a great alternative. Shuu also needs some guidance regarding performance mostly due to the changes in how Shadow priests gear themselves, but he and I had a nice talk a few weeks back and we talk every once in a while about raiding as a Shadow priest. The awesome thing is that he'll be open to any and all suggestions as long as he's told that it'll help him improve. What he lacks in theorycrafting he makes up in a great personality and a willingness to work to be better.

Raspcallion is a damned fine player. He's been working on a tanking set as well and having a death knight tank will be helpful against those bosses that possess primarily magical attacks. I really enjoy healing when he's a tank, even though he still swears that he's not too great of a tank.

Diseased is great DPS, but he's irregular. He shows up and then disappears, as well as AFKs or gets distracted during a raid -- though a lot of that may be due to the connection issues he's complained about. I also hesitate in healing him because I know that I personally spend more mana healing him many times than I do the tank. He's one of those DPS who I should allow die every time he takes excessive damage or pulls aggro, but he puts out too much damned DPS that would otherwise be missed. I think he'd be better as a sub for a bit.

Klára's a great guy, but is he going to be around enough to work out as a raider? I know that his intermittent availability was part of the reason why he stepped down as guild leader.

I don't know enough about warrior DPS to comment on Hrothgar, but Gnome has played both DPS and tank in the past and he performed admirably.

Multiple death knights -- particularly of different trees -- should work out well. They provide high DPS and often high utility especially when you combine the assets of each of the threes trees. Besides, don't we usually take more than three priests or three warriors or three paladins to a raid? If all perform their roles as expected or better, I don't think that I'd be too concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:22 am 
So not going into it in great detail, here's my deal.... I started a new job recently, and when I worked for them before they were always happy to have people take Fri's off in favor of working every Sat/Sun. Not the case anymore. They have twice as many employees as when I left 5 years ago. Someone complained that not everyone had the exact same schedule, and so they are now going thru great pains to make everyone work every day of the week pretty much equally.

Starting in Jan, I will have 4 weekend (fri-sun) days off in a 4 week period, with a full weekend off. I have made it known I would rather work every Sat/Sun in favor of having Fris off. *IF* I do get that, I will still have to work 1 fri in a 4 week period. This only fair apparently...

Such is the life of an emergency-based career preference. Weekends are the prime time to work.

If you guys want me to push harder for 3/4 fris off I will be glad to. I cant promise I would get this schedule since I am lowbie again =)

Lemme know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:22 pm 
Regular

would definetely be good to see you raiding with us whenever you are available Ellyan!

btw, Varnir also applied. assume most folks remember him from SSC/TK raiding. was a very solid player and would be a good addition to the roster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:58 pm 
Regular

One Marg, I agree on sub-par DPS historically based on his gearing and issues with not really improving on it along with the whole fiasco on the Archimonde fight where he was leading a Kara raid via voice simultaneously where we coulda won the fight with a bit more DPS and focus of him not dying..
Shuu should come as reg the shdow priest and we'll see how he performs, along with not dying.

I don't see a problem with 3 DKs, Rap is solid, Disease is great DPS but needs to work out the control for the good of the raid and not personal stats. Klara I have never run with but looks like Loa is on more often than not recently and has offered to be a DPS officer so he looks to be committed to contributing and attending.
The current looks of the DPS spread is very melee heavy so we need to see how it rounds out as more people apply and get approved.

Gnomeish has performed well at least when he came...
Hrothgar no personal experience with running with him so it is recruitment's officers call.

Solid and realiable DPS will be the hardest group to fill out by the looks of things as they currently stand...so the need some help from the recruiting officers to russel up old solid players and some new one.. we should have a min of 2 of every class to pick from.

Where we look short is mages Halexx is the lone mage atm, druids (boomkin) unless Riatha applies, Shaman (waiting for Myissa to apply)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:06 pm 
Regular

If we are seriously in need of a boomkin I could make a big effort to get Seph leveled and geared up. That said, I guess we only have 2 hunters at the moment anyway...

Still if a boomkin would be preferred let me know and I'll start.

Of course my preferred option would be if a certain owlbear returned to us *sniffle*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:12 pm 
Regular

I have seen Aleryan leveling do we know if he/she is applying and planning to raid with us..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:51 am 
Regular

I think it would be good to make some decisions, so we can let people who applied know where they stand. It looks like there is agreement that Rapscallion and Gnomeish should be regulars. Looking at Mogri's list, it seems we can use more ranged regulars. Myssia, Ghlinn and Tumm have applied. I think we need to decide what process we'll use to accept them and anyone else for that matter--recommendations, a trial period, officer vote or something else--and who needs to pull the trigger on a decision or vote etc. I wasn't able to attend the officers' meeting--perhaps this was discussed.

I know Ghlinn, but I doubt others do. He is a good player who reads up on his class and encounters. I don't know what the limit on hunters should be, but he's at least worth having as a sub to see if he fits in with the raid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:03 am 
Regular

I agree we should be getting back to people who applied.

I think everyone who "applies" for a position and is accepted as a regular should probably be something like a "trial regular". It means the exact same thing really except that we'll be watching them closely to make sure they're going to fit in. If we still want to keep them as a regular after 8 weeks we'll tell them they're no longer a trial regular.

However trial regular means absolutely nothing other than that we're watching them closely and that they're new :P

But maybe it will make some of you feel better about accepting some of these people in that you may not know as well as you'd like yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:11 am 
Regular

Can I make a further suggestion? Most of the people who make applications are people who we know and were told to sign up, but for some people this is the first opportunity we have to interact with them. Wouldn't it be beneficial to reply to the post, let them know that we're here and have read it, and that we'll get back in contact with them? It would also be a good place for the respective role officers -- DPS, healing, whatever -- to provide feedback and introduce themselves.

Just a random idea. I've applied to raids before via forums and found it irksome that no one wrote back. One of the best I've applied to had the officer in charge of recruitment write me back and the healing lead comment on my gear and so on. It left a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling.

It would be good to say that a reply should be made within a day or so. No more than a couple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:27 am 
Regular

I think there is probably a lack of clarity about *who* precisely should be a) communicating to the applicants and b) deciding on their fate

I mean the recruitment officers will get people to apply but I would think it is a combination of the Role PAs (as appropriate for the applicant) and the raid leaders who would make the decisions on applicants?

Or am I completely wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:37 am 
Zealot

I have been resisting the urge to respond to each applicant's post. There is clearly a lack of who's job it is.

Going forward, I think it's the job of the recruitment officers to acknowledge the applicants' posts and determine if a player would be able to fill a spot in the raid by talking with the raid leaders and role officers.

The process is something like:
1. some new applicant makes an application
2. Recruitment officer reviews application and acknowledges receipt on forum
3. Recruitment officer communicates with raid leader and dps/heal dept to figure out if the player is a fit or not
4. Recruitment officer informs applicant of the decision

Would that make sense from Shuu, Halexx, and Emelin's points of view?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:32 pm 
Regular

yeah, i think the recruitment officers need to own the roster. raid/role leaders can provide feedback on which classes are needed and comments on applicants but the recruitment officers should drive the entire recruitment process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:25 pm 
Regular

I propose accepting Myssia, Ghlinn, Rapscallion and Gnomeish as regulars and Varnir, Hrothgar and Tumm as subs. Raid and dps leaders, do you approve this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:28 pm 
Regular

Raps/Gnome -- we should confirm them IMO

Myssia -- I like raiding with Myssia and would like to see him as a regular (and we need a DPS shammy), but have had ongoing concerns over his DPS output (this includes both pre- and post Lich King, and in both enhancement and elemental roles). I would like to see him improve his DPS before being accepted as a regular. Perhaps this is something master-theorycrafter Csilla could help him with.

Ghlinn -- i don't know him at all so i can't comment. Would like to hear Cliff's opinions here. Is a 3rd hunter the best choice for our remaining DPS spots?

Hroth/Tumm are fine as subs.

Varnir is regular material (as proven by his history raiding with us pre-LK), though not sure if we have room on the roster for another rogue. Would let the DPS officers comment on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:34 pm 
Zealot

Re: Ghlinn. 3rd hunter is fine. Blizzard has done a good job of "bring the player, not the class" with WotLK. If he is a quality player, then his class is capable of a good contribution to our raid.

Re: Myssia. Yea, Myssia's DPS has been poor by comparison to other classes/players in our raids and parties so far. Improvement is suggested.

Re: Varnir. See Re: Ghlinn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:17 pm 
Regular

Regarding Myssia, I'm in full agreement. His performance strictly in terms of DPS is low and if we're going to proceed with him he'll need a lot of improvement. It doesn't help that DPS shamans are a little broken right now, putting out some of the lowest DPS in raids regardless of spec. I think that prodding him to take Elemental -- which is getting some much-needed buffs next patch -- was something in the right direction, especially since he's able to stay alive more with ranged damage.

I haven't played a shaman in a number of years and things have changed a lot since then (I was strictly Restoration, since anything else at the time was a faux pas), but I'll do some research and I'm currently leveling my own shaman to help provide feedback. It also gives me an opportunity explore another class/spec, and you know how much I enjoy that!

Between my efforts and Blizzard's tweakage next patch, I hope to see huge improvements mid-December. Until then, all he can provide is minimal damage and some buff utility -- and we expect more from our raiders.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 43  Next