[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Drunken Badgers of Feathermoon • View topic - Re-invigoration - time for some new raid officers?

Drunken Badgers of Feathermoon

Knock one back for the Drunken Badgersh!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re-invigoration - time for some new raid officers?
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:44 pm 
Regular

So I was thinking after our vent meeting the other day that maybe it is time to open up registrations of interest for becoming raid officers to the guild/raid? I think if we are to do this it should be for specific roles and there should be some kind of application. I say this so that we can ensure that people apply to be officers not just because they think it's some kind of shiny privilege (hahaha inorite). I don't think it should be a too heinous process though. Just some questions to show they are thinking...

I mean the thing is, we have lost some of our key officers let alone raiders, so rather than feeling we have to pick up the slack ourselves why not get some new blood in? And perhaps it is also relevant to look at our current officers, the contribution they make, and remove from officership those who aren't really contributing anything.

Roles/Areas that could be filled:
1. Attendance tracking/junior loot bitch
2. Spot quiz management and reward distribution
3. Anything else?

Also while I'm on this topic, with Moonkin playing less and less maybe we need to look at a new Guild membership manager and it would be good to have a social/events officer and guild bank manager with the authority to distribute GB funds and items.

What do people think?

Post subject: Re: Re-invigoration - time for some new raid officers?
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:40 pm 
Regular

I think we should try to get some new officers. but let's decide what we need first. i think Cliff's original list was a good one (http://www.zoblefu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=767):
- Raid Leader
- Recruitment Manager
- DPS Performance Manager
- Healing Performance Manager
- Loot Manager

Having a primary and backup for each of these worked well IMO.

Here is my stab at where we are unofficially at today:
- Raid Leader - Rev/Jud/Yellow
- Recruitment Manager - Malizz
- DPS Performance Manager - Yellow posts logs, but besides that i'm not sure if this is actively being done
- Healing Performance Manager - no one
- Loot Manager - Jez/Yellow

we should sort out what holes we have to fill, fill them with existing officers as we have able bodies (ziv, do you want to take charge of healing office?), and then recruit new officers as needed.

I would recommend folding spot quiz/reward mgmt into the other offices. i.e. give the healing officer the authority to quiz the healers and hand out rewards as needed.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:28 am 
Regular

Yes jud, would be happy to help with healing dept. OR anything else I can.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:18 pm 
Regular

I have probably made around 200k on my bank alt day trading the AH. Because of this I know the cost of almost every item in wow at current market conditions. I hear people complaining often that the bank is filled with garbage or that people dont know what is good to keep. One other responsibillity I dont mind taking on is keeping it in order and making sure we actually have relevent items we need stocked. If it helps and you would like me to watch this area just let me know. The only stipulation I have is to still keep limited "only deposit" access to tab 4 (I would just feel to bad if I ever got hacked and someone robbed the good stuff)

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:23 pm 
Regular

I think we should see if Sagenn minds being the backup loot person, since I know he runs the mod too.

I think Ziv's idea is a good one, the bank is cluttered with useless stuff and ppl dumping their crafted leveling items in there. Slot 4/5 should be the good stuff, epic gems, enchants, BOE items, flasks, fish feasts, etc. Rhae use to be the janitor of our bank but it has been a while, so if Ziv can unload all the useless stuff to AH it would be good.

I think someone like Drackul or Jonathan or Avrus can maybe take the DPS officer role, not sure, ideally someone who strives to perform well and has good analytical skills when reviewing log parses.

I can be a floater anywhere we have a need or both ppl are out, I 'd like to assist on recruitment if possible since I do troll the public forums and would like the opportunity to sell our what our raid is about, probably summed up in this statement "Great hardcore players playing Great 1 night a week!"

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:06 pm 
Regular

Quote:
I can be a floater anywhere we have a need or both ppl are out, I 'd like to assist on recruitment if possible since I do troll the public forums and would like the opportunity to sell our what our raid is about, probably summed up in this statement "Great hardcore players playing Great 1 night a week!"

someone (maybe Ziv?) made a statement last week that out of all top raiding guilds on each server, everyone was raiding >1 night per week. it seems like there would be a good population of talented players out there who want progession raiding without committing their lives to WoW. i think we have a lot to offer potential raiders and should try to recruit players from other servers. (a lich king kill would certainly help here so let's take care of that this week). in addition to the one night per week, it seems like we have other advantages:
- Mature group of raiders that doesn't tolerate asshats
- Long standing raid running since early TBC, with well established raid rules and SK loot system

i recommend we put a post together and advertise across some different forums/sites including WOR, WoW raid forums, elitistjerks, etc. maybe we can tap some new talent off feathermoon.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:07 pm 
Regular

Chia is the other DPS officer. I don't know that there were ever any formal methodologies set up for what the dps/heal officers did but Chia has spent a LOT of time trying to assist people to improve in the past - a massive case in point being Myssia. So should talk to Chia before assigning someone else the role. The people YJ suggests may be good but they've only been with the raid like 5 minutes in the scheme of things... well except for Av, and I love Av but when it comes to DPS knowledge skills across multiple classes Chia > Av.

Do we need a tank officer as well? Cliff poo pooed this suggestion back in the day but that was when we had a good strong core of tanks which is clearly not the case anymore...

Sagenn was someone I was thinking of who could be a good raid officer and would be good for loot back up

Jud - your list does not include a role for maintaining attendance data. I'm not going to do it. I only said I'd do loot because YJ fed me the best butter :P

A forum post and regular trolling sounds good

Ziv being bank organising guru also sounds good.

What about my comments around general guild officer stuff - HR and Social stuff?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:12 am 
Regular

As deeps officer - no formal methodologies other than 'do when it needs doing'. My take on the role has been to steer people in the right direction, and there haven't been many balls to bust - 90% of Whiskey players are good dps'ers and those that aren't are Firestanders, for example. I spend a good 45-60mins each week with the WoL parse and am in on-going discussion with the raid's regular dps about their specs and buff-coverage contribution to the raid (We put a huge amount of effort into Tashraal to make the ultimate stacked raid, then things started to crumble :( Heck I made my warlock viable so the raid would do more dps than with some scrub rogue :P). During the raid itself I do my best to foster a competitive environment without the epeen (which is hard to do) on vent and in /ra, directly relating fight mechanics to individuals' dps and how to squeeze the most out in particular cases (when people wanna use pots, CDs, heroism, etc. I mean, people didn't know what haste pots were prior to Heroic Beasts, 1st week we used them as a raid we got the kill). Anything beyond this is 'telling people how to play' which people resent and I refuse to do. One-night-a-week, we require people to happily be theory crafters for themselves, imo. We're an adult raid and even the notion of 'incentives' etc is a little weird to me - come to the raid, do your job in your assigned role.

In terms of breaking the balls, with several leet dps core having left the raid over the past 3 months I've felt zero need to bust em as we carry alts, try-outs and pugs in 251 gear to fill raid spots (e.g. Ezios) while the rest of the raid are still doing their best to clear content they out-gear. If anyone sucks at dps once the line-up is solidified I'll help them to get better or ask them to step off, but people don't get raid spots if they need their balls bust, right? I review many other guilds' WoLs weekly and it seems that even in this current state of flux Whiskey is still pretty damn good.

I can't really think of another way to approach this but would love suggestions. I'm also happy to jump into another role if someone else wants to be Dr Deeps :)

Cliff's original plan was sound. I +1 all suggestions made in this thread so far, lots of good ideas. Jonathon knows his shit and would probably make a good dps officer if we feel someone else is needed though I'm not sure about making someone so fresh an officer. Sagenn would be a good fit for an officer role too. Mog or Jud tank officer sounds like a great idea.

On the recruiting side of things - is this short term for a LK group kill/HMs only? Or for further down the road, i.e. Cata? If short term, will get harder as the player pool shrinks with pre-xpac blues. If long term, the entire raid system is changing. Should prob think about what we're gonna do when it hits. If you can achieve the same results in a 10 man as you can a 25 (as Blizz have proposed) I would much rather attend a 100% committed 10 man raid a la Chaser than a 25 where there are an extra 15 variables determining your success :P

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:33 am 
Regular

I guess my suggestion is maybe rotate folks around so they don't get bored doing 1 duty for months, if ppl like what they are doing then maybe we just need to look to fill and groom a new +1 backup.

I think in once Cata comes along we should break in 2-10 man groups to start if possible which means to ensure both raids success we need to split the leadership and not whore all the top tier players, if we for some reason get an over abundance of raid demand for a solid 25 we can try it out, but I agree with CHia organizing, managing, and executing a 10 man raid is vastly easier than 25.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:11 pm 
Regular

Zivilyn wrote:
I have probably made around 200k on my bank alt day trading the AH. Because of this I know the cost of almost every item in wow at current market conditions. I hear people complaining often that the bank is filled with garbage or that people dont know what is good to keep. One other responsibillity I dont mind taking on is keeping it in order and making sure we actually have relevent items we need stocked. If it helps and you would like me to watch this area just let me know. The only stipulation I have is to still keep limited "only deposit" access to tab 4 (I would just feel to bad if I ever got hacked and someone robbed the good stuff)

Yes, please clean the GB! I used to do this but I got sick of it. Make Mogri give you whatever is crappy (he has unlimited access).

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:18 pm 
Regular

1) Chia is best deeps officer hands down. if we need a second because he is overworked or he doesn't want to do it that's one thing but replacing him with someone else (eg: jonathon) is retarded.

2) Just to make it clear Blizzard has announced that they want to bring the 10 man CLOSER to the 25 man in terms of what it does. 10 man raids are going to drop the EXACT SAME gear as 25 man raids. They are also going to be WAY HARDER than the 10 mans of today and are going to be closer to the level of the 25 mans of today. Also to be noted although the 10 mans will drop the exact same gear as the 25. The 25 will still drop SLIGHTLY more gear per person than the 10 does. So what does this mean?. Well 25 leet A-game players will probably gear up slightly faster than 10 of the same leet A-game players. At the same time 20Leet A-game players +5 down syndrome chimps. Will probably fall far behind a good group of 10 leet a-game players. For those who haven't read up on all this the one other change is that you can only get locked to one version of the instance 10 or 25. there is no more doing 2 raids a week of the same instance. Also (and this may be an advantage to our one day a week gig) Blizzard has decided to design all future raid content around having 3-5 raids with 2-4 bosses each per raid versus having 1-2 raids with 8-12 bosses per raid for each new level of content. Say goodbye to Ulduar/Naxx style raiding they have opened the door to the ToC style low trash high boss instances we seem to do well in.

3) We should probably decide on a direction and execute it soon. Others have seen this coming and are recruiting A-game players for 10 mans now. A lot of 25 mans across multiple servers that have a few peeps each week that take the little bus to the raid and stand in fire all night are realizing the advantages of 10's and putting them together now. If we wait till the expansion to figure everything out we may just find whisky falls apart and everyone already has a 10. Not suggesting we need to shut down whisky today and start up 10 mans but if that is our overall direction we should probably start making that plan known soon.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:19 pm 
Regular

3a) No one needs to take this at any level but here again is my pipedream. If Ziv was king this is how the underworld of Badger raiding would go>.
Under the assumption we stay the top raiding guild in the world running one day a week:
Fri: 6pm-Whisky (25 man) This raid runs for 1.5 -2 hours it currently smashes its head against LK moves to some hard modes when it can. Battles through Ruby sanctum and eventually when Cataclysm comes out moves on to become our Blackwing Decent raid destroying Nefarian and saving azeroth from utter destruction at the hands of the black dragon legion.
- Small break
Fri: 8ish -YJ's Chaser(1-2 10 mans) This raid runs for around 3 hours. Under the hand of Yellowjacket the heroes of Chaser come back hard and strong, ICC Hard modes are the flavour of the day. Ruby sanctum is wiped up like cheap hooker on prom night and when cataclysm comes out we take over The firelands, Skywall and Grim Batol Killing anything that stands in our path.
Fri 11ish -Chia's PVP Power hour: All the kids have gone to bed and the hardcores are left standing to make sure the horde don't stand a chance. Representing drunken badgers a small group head out on a quest for achieves and HK's. Rated Bg's, New PVP zones and burning to the ground horde towns are just how this group rolls. Anyone is welcome to take up arms and join.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:32 pm 
Regular

To sum up instead of deciding between 10 or 25 we do both. if either one is a slight fail we have the other to look forward to with so many new raids being introduced each patch we apply 25% of the raids to 25 man and 75% to 10 man also adding in the pvp. We get on it soon and get theses systems in place and working now so that it is already going and runinng smooth way before the expansion ever even hits. I for example am in a 10 man with cathu have been asked into 3 more and have been asked to recruite epeen badgers for these 10 mans. I am happy to switch to a badger 10 man(I have kinglsayer btw) but can guarantee if we dont do anything till novembers expansion most people will be in a solid 10 by then and with no plan for 25 it either has to go super strong or fall apart. This in my mind is a good resolution to keep everything going strong. but again.. I may have just fallen donwn the rabbit hole:)

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:48 pm 
Regular

Unless I hear from anyone thinking its a bad idea(now is your chance to speak up) I will be taking over the bank. Organizing items and taking out the garbage. My goal is to send all garbage to an alt I make specifically for this and either vendor or AH items that we dont need. then use those exact funds to purchase items (feasts, gems, pots, w/e) to restock the bank with things we do need. I will keep in touch with mogri to figure out a system for tab 6. I still dont want access to it

Last edited by Zivilyn on Wed May 26, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:42 pm 
Regular

I have actually been cleaning the bank up the past few days as well

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:21 pm 
Regular

ziv would be great if you want to take over guild bank duties. much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:55 pm 
Regular

So we've ninja promoted Sagenn which is great, and I believe Rev mentioned that he thought Avrus worthy of ninja promotion to the exalted heights that is raid officership? I concur. So I guess we get Mog to promote Av unless there are any objections?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:41 pm 
Regular

Av is a good loyal raider and guildie fine by me..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:21 pm 
Regular

So Sagenn and Av should now have access to the raid officer forum *waves* as members of the raid officer group. While mucking about in the admin side of things I thought I might as well clean up the group membership a bit. I have removed the following people from the raid officer group:

Eszti
Glimmerelf
Loa
Shuu

Mostly for inactivity and as for Shuu I don't even recall him being an officer 0.0